Chicken, Biscuits ‘N’ Gravy Casserole with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 medium to large rotisserie chicken
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Butter a large casserole dish. Pull the meat off the chicken, shredding it with your fingers or a fork into the baking dish.
In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over high heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms, onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, sprinkle the flour into the skillet and cook stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup of the milk and simmer for 1 minute more, Remove the skillet from the heat, add the lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taster. Pour the gravy over the chicken in the baking dish.
Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter with the garlic.
Stir together the baking mix, the remaining 2/3 cup of milk and the cheese. Drop tablespoonfuls of the biscuit mixture on top of the casserole and brush with half of the garlic butter. Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 25 minutes, brushing them once or twice with the remaining garlic butter.